Welcome to Arcanum, the Brandon Sanderson Archive. We're here to collect everything Brandon ever says about his books--the "Words of Brandon," as they are called--with a focus on collecting information related to the cosmere.
Guests on Arcanum can:
- View WoBs in event pages.
- Click on tags underneath WoBs to see all WoBs associated with that tag.
- View newly added or modified WoBs using the Recent tab.
- Use the Search feature. Help on how to use the search feature can be found here: Search Guidelines.
- View readings of unpublished material and other Collections with a link.
Users who have created an account on Arcanum can also:
- Create Collections, user-curated lists of WoBs.
- View Suggestions, which are edits other users have made that have not been approved by an Arcanist.
If you want to contribute, you first need to create a new account on Arcanum. You cannot log in using an existing 17thshard.com account.Users who are signed in can:
- Edit existing entries to make corrections or add tags.
- Create new entries for untranscribed audio.
- Create new entries for text-only WoBs, like social media posts.
- Upload audio or images (of signed books or Reddit DMs).
These can all be done from any event page. All edits will appear as suggestions, causing the background of the WoB to turn orange, until an Arcanist has approved them.
Help on editing and transcribing can be found here: Creating Entries and Transcribing. A detailed style guide can be found here: Style Guide. Any questions about transcribing can be asked in the Arcanum subforum on the 17th Shard forum, or in the #arcanum channel in the 17th Shard Discord server.
Arcanum runs on custom open-source software called Palanaeum. If you would like to contribute to the ongoing improvement of the site, or if you would like to implement your own instance for your own author archive, please see the Palanaeum github page and contact Mestiv in the #arcanum channel in the 17th Shard Discord server.
- WoB: An acronym for “Word of Brandon.” Anything Brandon has said, outside of his published books. Statements by some of Brandon’s employees are sometimes referred to as WoBs, as well, although you can also substitute the individual’s initial. (WoP for Peter Ahlstrom, WoI for Isaac Stewart.)
- RAFO: An acronym for “Read And Find Out.” It is Brandon’s particular way of telling you he is declining to answer the question.
- Arcanist: A staff member for this site. They approve edits other users make, process audio sources, and create events.
- Entry: The Arcanum website element containing a single WoB.
- Event: A page on Arcanum containing WoBs that all originate from the same place. An event may be a signing on a book tour, a convention Brandon was at, a Reddit AMA thread, an interview Brandon did with a website, or even a collection of miscellaneous social media tidbits over the course of a year.
- Snippet: An audio file containing a single WoB. Recordings from events will often be hours long and contain dozens of different WoBs mixed in with long periods of other fan interactions. When new audio is uploaded, Arcanists will break up that audio into smaller chunks, finding the relevant portions and making them into snippets.
- Reading: A type of Entry for a piece of unpublished writing Brandon reads at a signing or convention. These are excluded from most search results due to their length, and you will see a "not searchable" box on top of them when viewing them on an Event page or in a Collection. They can be found through a tag search on #readings or though a tag search on the book or story it came from.
Adding Your WoB
- If your WoB was captured in audio at a signing line or on a livestream, you can feel free to add your name or internet handle to it after it has been transcribed.
- If your WoB was from a public social media interaction with Brandon (like a Reddit comment), you can add it to the appropriate event. In the URL sources, include a link to Brandon's first reply. If someone else has already added your WoB, you can feel free to change your name or internet handle.
- If your WoB was from a signed book or a Reddit DM, you can upload an image to the appropriate event (editing out any personal information as you deem appropriate) and then add your WoB as an entry to the same event. If you are unable or unwilling to upload an image, use the "direct submission" checkbox described below.
- If you got a WoB at an in-person event, and there was no audio recording, you can add the WoB directly to the event. Check the "paraphrased" checkbox. If you have posted about it somewhere else on the internet (or if you see somebody else posting about a WoB they got), add a link to the report in the URL sources. Otherwise, check the "direct submission" checkbox and add your name.